mm hi.
i have been in Cameroon for a bit over two weeks now. so far so good. Things are starting to get a bit more normal now so i figured i had best start blogging before everything starts feeling boring.
so far this what is still strange:
1.foreign travellers often talk about how scary roads are in non-US countries. but really, they are. i closed my eyes most of the time when i first starting taking cabs around town (which by the way is a publicly financed institution...a typical cab ride costs in the neighborhood of a quarter.) Anyway, lines on the road must be from some former administration that thought it might be a good idea to have lanes but then thought better of it, as driving in the middle of the road all the time is so much more exciting. honking is constant but it seems to be totally without malice, just a way of saying "hey i'm behind you and let us not forget that there are no lines or speed limits here so whatchout". the drivers have amazing skills in weaving about people, carts, traffic, potholes, and signless streets. i am sure that an american driver would last about 30 seconds.
2.guiness and potatoes are very popular here.
3.though the median income of an american traveller is often much higher than that of an average cameroonian, caution should not prevent one from appreciating the kindness, sociability, and humor of a stranger in cameroon. i don't much like generalizations (though to be sure that seems to be changing while abraod) BUT the idea of a communal identity is much stronger here, to the point that total strangers seem to reflexively offer help with no strings attached.
4.I am twenty seven years old and I am staying with a host family. I have 4 brothers and three sisters ranging in age from 7 - 20. I once again ask if I can go out to town. I have a curfew. I fight with my siblings. Every day I am torn between loving this return to youth and really really hating it.
5. crossing your legs in front of older folks is considered rude even though crossing your legs is the most comfortable thing to do when sitting.
6.white people can easily become shiny red people.
bonjour!
Friday, February 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
you get into fights with your host siblimgs?! that is so weird and awesome. i am having so much fun imagining the rude things you try to say in french whilst navigating said fights.
ReplyDeletecrossing your legs IS the most comfortable thing to do when sitting.
ReplyDeletebrother ben! this is so good and inspiring me to blog myself...though i'm not so talented in the ways of creating the darned things. the roads ARE crazy, i strongly identify with this! have not yet taken a cab, but did almost get my foot run over when i was stuck between a rock and a hard place (literally: a brick building and a car:)
ReplyDeletestay strong brother, and keep up the good sibling fight! i miss you!